Re: RAT FW: [bigcheap] Theatre press/LA-Austin

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:29:26 -0700 "Bottom's Dream"
<bottomsdream@linkline.com> writes:

>I couldn't give a shit about the press. I take opportunities to scream
>for
>change. In any arena, in any form. Do I really care If the LA Times
>covers
>the LA community in a more caring fashion? No, because I can't make
>that
>happen alone and we just aren't organized well enough to have unity in
>the
>battle. Any battle. Our weakness is we can't organize. Even dear RAT
>can't
>muster up strength enough to foster meaningful change. meaningful
>dialogue,
>yes, plenty. But the dialogue, other than what it makes me do
>personally,
>goes nowhere. People leave or change themselves and worse, join in
>the
>pursuit of the old models. Where are the Iowa Rats? Where is the
>promise of
>the dialogue? I have to admit, getting older is no friend to the good
>fight.
>Eventually, and the time is approaching for me, when you take your
>toys and
>go home. It's getting dark, and its time to leave the playground and
>go
>home.
>It's all about the work.
>
>mitch

Jonathan felt:

>> After nearly fifty years on this planet, I'm still baffled as to
>why
>> people feel that acknowledgement (or lack of it) from more
>established
>> institutions must be viewed as some kind of threat to that which
>we've
>> strived to create. Haven't we the courage of our convictions?
>> I disagree that it's "all" about the work. It's also about sharing
>the
>> work with others. And I'm confused by this post, Mitchell.  One
>moment
>> you're pining for the Iowan promise of more dialogue and yet have
>already
>> stated that the dialogue does nothing more than personal good.
>Which,
>> though personally fulfilling perhaps, eventually, you say, "goes
>> nowhere".
>> I do give a shit about the press. I give a shit about the press in
>the
>> same way I give a shit about finding rehearsal space for my actors.
>They
>> need it. I give a shit about the press in the same way I give a
>shit
>> about making sure the programs are edited, copied, folded and ready
>to be
>> given to the patrons. They want it. I give a shit about the press
>because
>> I must. My actors want/need it, my audience want/needs it, my
>> play

To which Mitch replied:

>I don't seek acknowledgement from "more established institutions"
>other than
>their interest in the work we do. The work includes sharing it
>Jonathon. I
>don't "pine for dialogue" I wrote that I felt we have plenty of
>dialogue. I
>pine for action. The dialogue doesn't do me "personal good" it does
>my
>theatre work good. I don't need RAT to make me a better person(though
>it
>might) I need it to make my theatre more vibrant. Re: your feelings
>for the
>press, then what are you doing about it?
>And Jonathon, I respect your work and your efforts. I have no qualms
>with
>you. But It's just more dialogue aint it? What are you actually doing
>about
>the fact that you give a shit about the press. YOu fold the programs
>and get
>rehearsal space by doing actions, i.e. phone calls, labor, even
>writing
>checks.. but what is it we are doing about issues?

Dearest, bravest Mitch,

Some clarification if I might.

>I don't seek acknowledgement from "more established institutions"
>other than
>their interest in the work we do.

I didn't mean to imply that you did. My question had more to do with the
larger issue of gaining public awareness for one's craft and how that
feeds into the fear of co-opting one's work. I got that from:

People leave or change themselves and worse, join in
>the
>pursuit of the old models.

Worse? If joining in on the pursuit of old models will get butts in seats
for my actors and my other collaborators then, in my view, it's a
necessary dance. I have enough faith in my artistic abilities (as I know
you do) to believe that they'll weather any storm the "old models" might
throw at us.

The work includes sharing it
>Jonathon.

I guess I misunderstood the comment: >I couldn't give a shit about the
press.

I took that to mean that they didn't matter to you. (Or, by extension,
your company). I'm a little too linear at times. I was thinking, Jesus,
to discount press support will only undermine one's best efforts to share
the work. Like it or not.

>don't "pine for dialogue" I wrote that I felt we have plenty of
>dialogue.

It seemed more packed to me.

 Even dear RAT
>can't
>muster up strength enough to foster meaningful change. meaningful
>dialogue,
>yes, plenty. But the dialogue, other than what it makes me do
>personally,
>goes nowhere.   Where are the Iowa Rats? Where is the
>promise of
>the dialogue?

You see my confusion.
I agree that the dialogue is great but, for the most part, masturbatory
and self-serving. Interesting as it is. And, one should note, it didn't
even exist but a few short years ago. So, this is, to use a popular catch
phrase, "a good thing." So, the promise of the dialogue was kept. Was
there a promise of action <within> the dialogue?

>pine for action. The dialogue doesn't do me "personal good" it does
>my
>theatre work good. I don't need RAT to make me a better person(though
>it
>might) I need it to make my theatre more vibrant. Re: your feelings
>for the
>press, then what are you doing about it?

I'm not sure I understand. What am I personally doing about press issues
when we're producing a show? I was lucky enough to be in charge of press
for our production of "Tango Palace" last year and was <thrilled> at the
response. I'd never done press alone before and, I must say, kicked some
serious ass in getting them there. They didn't all like it but who the
hell cares? I didn't like it much myself.

>And Jonathon, I respect your work and your efforts. I have no qualms
>with
>you. But It's just more dialogue aint it?

I'm sorry... <what's> just more dialogue?

 What are you actually doing
>about
>the fact that you give a shit about the press.

When we produce I seek them out and court them. You know.

YOu fold the programs
>and get
>rehearsal space by doing actions, i.e. phone calls, labor, even
>writing
>checks.. but what is it we are doing about issues?

My issues are few these days. I'm no longer in charge of changing the
system through anything other than right action and my best work.  But
I'm not sure I answered your question?

All I was trying to say was that we the smaller theatres are in a leaky
boat lost at sea. If somebody, anybody throws us a line, should we not
take it? Does this, in any way, affect our abilities to captain our own
ship? That's all.
Best,
Jonathan

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!