RAT Anyone interested in starting a dialog with some Oztralians?

I have no idea what this gal's affiliation with the conference is, but their
approach sure is interesting... anyone interested in corresponding?
(Ahhhh - memories of Fool-ishness)

Llysa
theater simple, seattle (though sometimes in Oz)
*********************
Forwarded to me from

Subj:    [theatreoz] fetiSH Symposium
Regards,

Cristyn Davies

>April fools' fetiSH:
>(de)constructing contemporary performance, theory and text(s)

>Io Myers Studio
>University of New South Wales
>
>The postgraduate community of the School of Theatre, Film & Dance and
>the School of English are collaborating to present April foolsi fetiSH:
>(de)constructing contemporary performance, theory and text(s), a one day
>symposium which will be held on 1 April 1999 at the University of New
>South Wales.
>
>Keynote speaker:
>Lesley Stern, author of eThe Scorsese Connectioni
>
>Presentations will include Director, Nigel Kellaway, and Physical
>Performer, Celia White, discussing fetish in performance; and a reading
>of still raw by Stacey Callaghan, winner of the Philip Parsonis Award
>for Playwrighting.
>
>This symposium will explore the concept of 'fetiSH' in the context of
>critical textual theory. Historically, the term 'fetiSH' has found
>application in a diverse range of discourses; from Karl Marx's use of
>the term as a metaphor for consumption in Capital to Leopold von
>Sacher-Masoch's transgressive iconography in Venus in Furs. It will
>consider the 'fetiSH' metaphor specifically in relation to
>performativity and the spectacle, given that contemporary culture is
>dominated by a cult of the sign.
>
>eApril foolsi fetiSH: (de)constructing contemporary performance, theory
>and text(s)i will take as its starting point the following quote from
>French theorist Gilles Deleuze.
>
>'The fetish is ... not a symbol at all, but as it were a frozen,
>arrested, two-dimensional image, a photograph to which one returns
>repeatedly to exorcise the dangerous consequences of movement, the
>harmful discoveries that result from exploration; it represents the last
>point at which it was still possible to believe ... ' (Masochism:
>Coldness and Cruelty)
>
>Registration: $30, concession $20
>
>For registration brochures and information contact:
>Margaret Hamilton or Cristyn Davies on 02 9385 4856 or fax 02 9662 2335
>or return email.

Cristyn Davies
P.O Box 1079
LEICHHARDT 2040