Re: RAT Unsolicited Scripts . . .

<< and 95% of the directors responsible for the thousand or so horror stories
I've heard from actors over the years >>
I'm sorry...I know that we have to blame someone for all the horror stories,
and why not blame the writer or the director or the administrator.  But how
many of those actors were also "bad?" (although I hate that term)  Or could
not find the power within themselves to say to the director "this is a horror
story we are creating together, might we join forces to rewrite it for the
good of all?"  I've done that as an actor.  Responsibility for any production
belongs to all participants.  If it was  horror story, then it takes all to
make change.

Sometimes I've noted that the main problem many of the "bad" directors and
writers have had is that they have chosen to work with mediocre actors with a
good look (granted, that was their original responsibility of choice...but if
only 5% of directors and writers are of any value...let us look to actors as
well...cause I'll tell you their numbers are equally low in percentage of the
mighty).  I tend to work with great actors and figure the audience will get
over it if they don't look like Chippendales or calendar girls.

At Vagabond, we have what is called the Core Development Ensemble, and those
amazing actors of little pay will work tire(fully) to help the writer and
playwright say what they mean...if we're going with percentages...I'd say that
across the boards the problem with "artists" that I meet is that they lose
sight of what they want to say artistically because they are so @!%#@ up the
#@% trying to figure out how to put food on the table.

And boy can I understand that and feel for them in their plight.  Eating other
people's left overs this month in PA.

--Aileen McCulloch, The Vagabond Acting Troupe