RAT NYC Rat diary Day One - 8/15/97

I was once a new Rat attending my first conference, so I know the sense of
"What Is This Again?" that some of you are no doubt having. Given that, I
thought I'd post my four-day RAT diary from the NYC conference two years
ago to give newer Rats some idea of what to look forward to -- or, at
least, what NYC was like. (In a word, GREAT.)

Lee

>>From: LeeWochner@aol.com
>>Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 02:35:48 -0400 (EDT)
>>To: Subkulture@aol.com, foliemayer@pipeline.com
>>Subject: NYC Rat diary Day One - 8/15/97
>>
>>I arrive at the big Rat get-acquainted session at the East 4th Street Theatre
>>at 5:20, newly recovered from lugging three heavy bags of luggage for a
>>12-minute uphill walk through swamp-like humidity because I got off on the
>>wrong subway stop. (An error I am determined not to repeat.) New York is
>>steamy. I've lived in L.A. for nine years now; before that, I lived my whole
>>life in Atlantic City. Moving to L.A. got me away from at least two things I
>>was glad to leave behind -- dense pools of water in the air and hay fever.
>>Well, I packed lots of shorts.
>>
>>I start talking with Kerri from Woolly Mammoth in D.C., the only person I
>>know previously from an in-the-flesh meeting (Kerri and I met during last
>>summer's Common Ground Festival presented by A.S.K. Theatre Projects at
>>UCLA.) Then the 30-odd of us in attendance pulls our chairs into a circle and
>>everyone takes a turn introducing himself. (For an organization dedicated to
>>new approaches, it doesn't escape my notice that, many many years after grade
>>school and cub scouts, etc., this is still the proper format for
>>introduction. Anyway....) I'm glad to hear that we've got 5 or 6 bright eager
>>new people via the website. (I'm a passionate advocate of using the Internet
>>to expand the audience.) I look over the schedule of events for the 10-day
>>conference and discern a breakdown:  events for those who believe in
>>non-leadership, non-economics, and, perhaps, non-growth, and events for those
>>willing to shake hands with the devil and see if they lose the hand. So while
>>on the one side you've got a roundtable to discuss eliminating the box
>>office, on the other you've got one dedicated to grantwriting and
>>fundraising. While you've got some sort of "we're going to all dance our own
>>pieces in this big 10-person movement thing in the streets without a leader,"
>>you've also got short-short play readings organized at least somewhat around
>>traditional notions (i.e., having a playwright and a script). This dichotomy
>>is healthy. Theatre needs to be inclusive, especially of its own artists. I
>>won't be dancing in the streets and I won't be eliminating the box office,
>>but I might at least go see who will be.
>>
>>I wind up talking with Ed Hawkins and Chris Jeffries from the Annex Theatre
>>in Seattle. Actually, they start talking with me. They're immediately the
>>friendly open sorts I gravitate to, but Ed heard me mention the Moving Arts
>>playwrights' catalog, a program my theatre started to help get our
>>playwrights get second and third productions around the country. He wants a
>>copy, which of course I will mail when I get back to L.A. We hit it off, so
>>Ed and Chris and Kerri and her husband Ian from Washington (DC) Shakespeare
> [...]

www.movingarts.org

Internet access for Moving Arts generously provided by MindSpring.  For
more information, call (800) 719.4664.